3 smuggling boats intercepted off Sulu PDF Print E-mail
Saturday, 06 October 2012 13:52

The Philippine Navy’s (PN) Naval Task Force 61 has intercepted three motor launches carrying almost P20 million worth of dry goods and other stores during patrol operations in Sulu late last month.

Belated reports coming from Capt. Rafael G. Mariano, Naval Forces Western Mindanao deputy commander, identified the seized ships as M/L Menham-H, M/L Al-Kausar, and M/L Okey owned and operated by Hadji Hamsi Hamsiradji, Albasher Salim Sanka, and Hadji Jamar Mansul, respectively.

He added that they were intercepted by Naval Force 61’s patrol units last Sept. 23 some 1.7 nautical miles off Candea Point, Sulu.

He added that the ships were attempting to land smuggled goods from Malaysia to Sulu when spotted by PN ships around 4 a.m. on Sept. 23.

Mariano said the motor launches were immediately towed to the Chinese Pier in the sub-port of Jolo for inspection of their cargo holds with the assistance of Bureau of Customs in Jolo.

Found in the ships cargo holds were P20 million worth of rice, tea, plastic utensils and other trading materials.

Mariano said appropriate charges will be filed against the vessels’ owners.