PRO-9 now working on total gun ban rules PDF Print E-mail
Tuesday, 27 November 2012 15:01

Police Regional Office-9 is now formulating operational procedures in the implementation of the total gun ban which will be imposed starting January 13, 2013,  ahead of the elections in May.

Police Regional Director Chief Supt. Napoleon Estilles convened the top police commanders in Zamboanga Peninsula to put together a consolidated and unified plan and strategies in the execution of the gun ban.

Estilles said that while waiting for the official guidelines from the Commission on Elections and the PNP Headquarters in Camp Crame, his command is already anticipating the possible measures they will undertake in such directive which is one of the prime concerns of law enforcement authorities in every political exercise.

Comelec is now formulating the guidelines for a total gun banand discussing who should be exempted from the ban that will end on June 12 next year.

Estilles said that since there are several sectors which need to be considered like the law enforcement agencies, and security personnel there are also considerations to be made that’s why his command is now laying down the procedures with this regard and to ensure a proper implementation of such campaign.

Earlier this month, PRO9 already formulated their security plan for the said electoral process.

The program, “Secure and Fair Elections or (SAFE 2013)”, is already in place and PRO-9 has started its review of the existing policies with regard to security procedures during elections in the country, as well as focus on aspects where the police here need ample attention.

Estilles had earlier directed his top commanders in Zamboanga Peninsula to organize their respective “Oplans” for this,one of which is the intensification of the campaign against loose firearms and wanted persons. – Bhong Simbajon