CDRRMC OKs P2 million cash assistance for Pablo victims PDF Print E-mail
Tuesday, 11 December 2012 14:49

The City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (CDRRMC) yesterday approved the grant of financial assistance to the local government units of Compostela Valley and Davao Oriental which were ravaged by typhoon Pablo.

Meantime, Mayor Celso Lobregat, CDRRMC chair is expected to call for an emergency session of the City Council tomorrow, Wednesday to tackle the CDRRMC resolution including several other vital issues.

Per CDRRMC recommendation, the City Government will allocate P1 million each to Compostela Valley and Davao Oriental representing assistance to victims of the calamity wrought by typhoon Pablo.

As in the previous donations, Lobregat said the financial assistance is a show of sympathy and concern for fellow Filipinos in Eastern Mindanao which was badly hit by the typhoon that hit the country last week.

The amount, he said, will help alleviate the plight of the people in the area.

“We should thank the Lord Almighty and Nuestra Señora La Virgen del Pilar for constantly guiding and protecting Zamboanga City. There were flash floods in Zamboanga but no major damage was reported”.

The City Social Welfare and Development Office reported 123 families with 421 dependents residing in sitios Camino Nuevo, Bataan, Mialin, Tindalo, SPDA and Tamion in Vitali, affected by rising water. They were evacuated to Vitali Church when water started to rose at 10pm but immediately returned to their houses at around 3:30am when water subsided. 

The families affected in Vitali were provided with the necessary relief assistance by personnel from the City Social Welfare and Development Office in cooperation with the Barangay Council and other agencies.

On the other hand, the death toll from typhoon Pablo (international name Bopha) rose to 540 people as of Sunday, with deaths mostly recorded in Compostela Valley and Davao Oriental, according to the National Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council (NDRRMC). 827 other people remain missing.

Reports also indicate that at least 70% of the province of Compostela Valley was ruined with damage to agriculture pegged at almost P4 billion. The devastation in Cateel and neighboring towns in Davao Oriental is also massive and the number of dead and missing people keeps on rising.

Last August, the City Government, per endorsement of the CDRRMC and authorization from the City Council, shared P10 million for the 18 local government units in Manila that were also devastated by floods spawned by habagat.

When typhoon Sendong hit Iligan City and Cagayan de Oro City December last year, the City Government also shared P2 million to help ease the burden on the devastated families.

Present during the CDRRMC meeting yesterday morning in City Hall were Councilors Abdurahman Nuño and Lilia Nuño, City Administrator Antonio Orendain Jr., Red Cross administrator Vic Liozo Jr., District Fire Marshall Dominador Zabala, DILG City Director Taha Arakama, Zamboanga Chamber of Commerce and Industry Foundation President Pocholo Soliven, concerned City Department heads, representatives from the City Police Office, Department of Education and radio clubs and numerous other sectors. — Sheila Covarrubias