City turns over P2M aid to Pablo victims PDF Print E-mail
Friday, 21 December 2012 14:11

Zamboanga City’s P2 million financial assistance to victims of typhoon Pablo (international name Bopha) in Compostela Valley and Davao Oriental has been officially turned over to the respective local government units.

Mayor Celso Lobregat on Wednesday tasked one of his executive assistants, Mark Anthony Saavedra to fly to Davao to personally turn over the 2 checks of P1 million each to the LGU representatives of Compostela Valley and Davao Oriental.

Lobregat said the financial assistance is intended to augment in the relief operations in the areas ravaged by the super typhoon.

As in the previous donations, Lobregat said the financial assistance is a show of sympathy and concern for fellow Filipinos in Eastern Mindanao who are suffering from the brunt of Pablo.

The destruction caused by the typhoon December 5 in Compostela Valley and Davao Oriental was so massive that led President Aquino to declare a national state of calamity to allow the release of calamity funds to assist the victims.

Zamboanga City experienced rains and strong wind but the weather disturbance left with very minimal damage. The City Social Welfare and Development Office reported 123 families with 421 dependents residing in sitios Camino Nuevo, Bataan, Mialin, Tindalo, SPDA and Tamion in Vitali, affected by rising water. They were evacuated to Vitali Church when water started to rose at 10pm but immediately returned to their houses at around 3:30am when water subsided.

The families affected in Vitali were provided with the necessary relief assistance by personnel from the City Social Welfare and Development Office in cooperation with the Barangay Council and other agencies.

“We should thank the Lord Almighty and Nuestra Señora La Virgen del Pilar for constantly guiding and protecting Zamboanga City. There were flash floods in Zamboanga but no major damage was reported”, he said.

The P2 million financial aid was initially recommended and endorsed by the City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council and later approved and authorized by the Sangguniang Panlungsod during a special session.

Last August this year, the City Government, per endorsement of the CDRRMC and authorization from the City Council, also shared P10 million for the 18 local government units in Manila that were also devastated by floods spawned by habagat.

When typhoon Sendong hit Iligan City and Cagayan de Oro City December last year, the City Government also shared P2 million to help ease the burden on the devastated families. — Sheila Covarrubias