Celso, Orendain leads destruction of seized firecrackers, pellet toys PDF Print E-mail
Thursday, 13 January 2011 14:55

Mayor Celso Lobregat and City administrator Antonio Orendain Jr. yesterday morning led the destruction of illegal firecrackers and pellet toys which the authorities confiscated from unlicensed vendors downtown last month.

Drenched in drums full of water were 691 cartons of piccolo and hundreds of other carton of assorted firecrackers, all worth almost P100,000.

The chief executive said the bulk of the haul was seized during intensified campaign against banned firecrackers pursuant to Executive Order No. CL 381-2010 he issued amending Section B of EO 372-2010 dated November 8, 2010, regulating the manufacture, distribution, sale and use of firecrackers and other pyrotechnic devises in the city.

EO 381-2010 includes piccolo in the list of banned firecrackers and pyrotechnics as it is said to contain yellow phosphorous, which is the same toxic substance found in the equally lethal firecracker, watusi. Numerous injuries that occurred in the city even prior to the New Year revelry were due to firecracker blasts with piccolo as the primary culprit.

The confiscated firecrackers were submerged in water in public view to demonstrate the city’s commitment to implement the rules and regulations set concerning firecrackers and pyrotechnics as well as pellet toy guns. The pellet toys and other items sold illegally were crushed to pieces before the public in front of City Hall.

The operations against illegal firecrackers were conducted by joint operatives from the City Hall community police action center (COMPAC) in coordination with other law enforcement agencies.

Meanwhile, City administrator Orendain said while the confiscation was done by the police authorities, the sanctions against the violators of the law will be the responsibility of the Firearms, Explosives, Security Agencies and Guards Section (FESAGS) section of the police based at the Regional Police Office-9.

The city government has granted permits to 14 firecracker dealers who were earlier cleared by the FESAGS in Camp Crame.

The cartons of piccolo were confiscated from some dealers while the assorted firecrackers were seized from the fly by night vendors at the public market. The ban on pellet toy guns is based on EO 372-2010 issued by Mayor Lobregat, also last Nov. 8, 2010. -- Vic Larato