Celso forms task group vs hi-way obstructions PDF Print E-mail
Monday, 07 January 2013 14:51

Mayor Celso Lobregat has formed a task group to check and effect demolition of all illegal structures along highways pursuant to a memorandum circular issued by the Department of Public Works and Highways.

The task group, headed by District Engineer Merham Acas, is set to do the rounds of all barangays starting today, January 7 to identify illegal structures and at the same time issue notices to owners for voluntary clearing.

Lobregat was prompted to form the task group in response to a request from the DPWH to assist the agency in clearing all obstructions in highways and roads right of way.

The mayor last week had a series of meetings with barangay chairmen from both the east and west coasts of the City together with representatives from the DPWH, City Engineer’s Office, City Police Office and other concerned agencies to discuss about the impending demolition.

Members of the task group include personnel from the CEO, City Administrator’s Office, City Mayor’s Office specifically City Licensing Division and the Zamboanga City Police Office.

According to Lobregat, the task group will make the rounds of the different barangays starting from Tetuan to Licomo in the east coast and from Baliwasan to Labuan in the west coast on Monday to check on all illegal structures built along highways.

Owners of said structures will be given notices to voluntarily clear the highway within one week to ten days afterwhich the task group will be back to undertake the demolition, the mayor said.

Lobregat said the City Legal office has opined that such illegal structures are per se considered nuisance and that no Court or legal procedure is necessary to enable the task group to conduct the demolition. — Sheila Covarrubias