2 dead in Zambo fire, 200 guns destroyed in ZS blaze PDF Print E-mail
Wednesday, 10 April 2013 11:45

Two women died in a fire that broke out and destroyed one of the oldest buildings in Zamboanga City yesterday and another blaze damaged 200 assault rifles at the supply room of the army’s 1st (Tabak) Infantry Division in Zamboanga del Sur last Saturday.

Amid the rain yesterday afternoon, fire broke out at the Zamsulu building, one of the oldest buildings located along Veterans Avenue.

Two women identified only as Grace and Lucy were trapped in the building and were confirmed killed by Fire Marshal Supt. Dominador Zabala.

It was learned that Grace and Lucy were household helpers of one of the building occupants.

Firefighters said they received a report on the blaze around 2 p.m. and Supt. Zabala dispatched several fire trucks to fight and extinguish the fire. It was placed under control in less than an hour leaving extensive damages to the business shops in the building.

Occupants of the different rented shops in the building hurriedly left the place while the flames quickly spread.

Fire fighters said they immediately doused water on the two adjacent areas to avoid flames from spreading to the Metrobank and the AL Gonzales and Sons..

Police temporarily closed the Veterans Avenue to give way to the fire trucks and other concerned authorities to look into the incident.

Fire investigators were still trying to determine the cause of the fire.

In Zamboanga del Sur,  at least 200 assault rifles were among those that were destroyed in a fire that gutted down the firearms supply building of the Army’s 1st Infantry (Tabak) Division Training Unit in Labangan last Saturday.

A police report disclosed that the fire broke out around midnight on Saturday at the vacant room of then IDTU officer Capt. Orlando Tamayo, who was earlier relieved and assigned to another region.

Among the firearms that the 1st Division lost in the blaza were machine guns, grenade launchers, M-16 rifles, pistols and other high powered assault riffles.

Initial investigation showed that electrical faulty wiring was the probable cause of the fire. Investigators of the Bureau of Fire and Protection discovered that the connection of the electrical switch in the vacant room was functioning only through a jumper. — Dan Toribio Jr. and Noning Antonio