4 hurt in Lamitan City grenade blast PDF Print E-mail
Tuesday, 07 May 2013 10:48

Four political supporters of Lamitan City Mayor Roderick Furigay were wounded when an unidentified man lobbed a grenade that exploded near his residence in Lamitan City last Sunday night.

Wounded were Jomar Ignacio, Melvin Tingua, Jayari Ferrer and Pay-Pay Umbac. They sustained injuries in their body and were taken to the St. Peter Hospital for treatment.

It was gathered that the four who are all supporters and coordinators of Furigay’s wife Rose who is running for mayor, together with other supporters were having a meeting at the Furigay residence shortly before 10 p.m. at  Flores St., Barangay Malinis, when a grenade exploded outside.

Explosive experts said the explosion took place about five meters from the perimeter fence of the Furigay residence.

Lamitan police were still working on the case and are looking into different angles including politics.

The last-term mayor is his wife’s running mate for vice mayor.

The explosion came more than a week after another blast destroyed the pickup truck of Vice Mayor Arleigh Eisma also outside his residence in Lamitan. Eisma is running for mayor against Rose Furigay and Hegem Furigay, wife and nephew  respectively of the outgoing mayor, Roderick Furigay.

Before the explosion outside the Eisma residence, the father of Hegem, Henry Furigay, and two political supports were wounded in gun attack also near their residence.

The Army’s 32nd Infantry Battalion assisted in bringing the four victims to the hospital in last Sunday’s explosion.

According to Lt. Col. Johnson Jemar D. Aseron, commanding officer of 32IB, his troops under Capt. Galorio were conducting routine patrol along the city area when they heard an explosion not far from their location.

The troops who immediately responded in the scene of explosion immediately cordoned the area and assisted the four victims who suffered minor injuries.

The Army said  the four victims were bystanders.

The 3rd Explosives and Ordnance Division- Sub Team and the AFP K9 unit with the PNP conducted post blast investigation to establish the classification of the used explosives.

“The Army will be working closely with the PNP to bring the perpetrators to justice,” said Brig. Gen Daniel Lucero, commanding general of the First (Tabak) Infantry Division. — Dan Toribio Jr.