Zamcelco credits Atilano on reduction of blackouts PDF Print E-mail
Saturday, 11 May 2013 10:54

Zamcelco officials lauded the extra efforts the city government has exerted as well as the untiring support shown by former Zamcelco President now running for councilor in the first district Elbert “Bong” Atilano, for the fast delivery of the additional 10 megawatts of power from an Independent Power Producer (IPP) in Iligan City that resulted in the reduction of the number of hours of blackout in the city.

Omar Sahi, Mr. Atilano’s successor, said the Mapalad Power Corporation (MPC) based in Iligan City is supposed to deliver only two megawatts but through the intervention of concerned people like Mayor Celso Lobregat and council aspirant Bong Atilano, it was increased to 10-megawatts or equivalent to more or less 2 hours reduction of blackout.

The additional 10 megawatts was delivered late last week and it was implemented upon the issuance of the so-called provisional authority by ERC which was done early last week due to the letter of request coming from Mayor Lobregat and the time to time communication of Mr. Atilano to ERC officials in Manila, Sahi said.

As a matter of procedure, ERC may issue a provisional authority authorizing power producer to immediately deliver the contracted amount of electricity to electric cooperative like Zamcelco pending results of the hearing that will set the exact rate that it (IPP) may charge from the cooperative. ERC determines the final rate that an IPP may charge from the purchaser and in many instances, the rate is normally lower than what had been agreed by the two involved parties.

Before stepping down as Zamcelco president, Atilano had already signed, for and in behalf of the cooperative, the Power Sale Agreement (PSA) of at least 18 megawatts of power suppoly with MPC officials.

“It is very clear that Zamcelco, even during the time of Bong Atilano, has already exerted its effort to address the power shortage. The complete power as agreed is supposed to be delivered to us on September this year. But because of the hard work done by the mayor and that of Mr. Atilano, MPC decided to deliver it in a staggered basis until it will be completed to 18-megawatts,” Sahi said.

“Zamcelco is doing its part to address the problem. Everybody is doing its share. Power shortage is not only in Zamboanga but almost entire Mindanao. We feel what others are feeling because all of us are affected,” Sahi said as he assured the public that power shortage will end as soon as MPC can deliver the contracted amount of electricity.

Sahi further assured that everything will be normalized as soon as the coal fired-power plant by SRPI will be operationalized in 2016. —Jimmy Villaflores