Kidnapped DSWD social worker freed PDF Print E-mail
Saturday, 25 May 2013 10:57

Jenely Luna Enprera, a social worker of the Department of Social Welfare and Development, who was abducted by gunmen in Ungkaya Pukan, Basilan Wednesday morning  was released by her abductors at exactly 7:30 p.m. Thursday in Barangay Marang, Sumisip, in the same province.

Enprera was released to Sumisip Mayor Gulam Boy Hataman and Lt. Col. Leonardo Dacumos, commander of the Army’s 64th Infantry Battalion, First Infantry (Tabak) Division.

The safe release was made possible through the collective negotiation efforts carried out initially by local government officials of Ungkaya Pukan headed by Mayors Joel and Jomar Maturan, Sumisip Mayor Hataman and Mayor Tong Listarul, Lt. Col. Dacumos and Lt. Col. Paulo Perez, battalion commanders in the area and the MILF 104th Base Command.

Enprera was seized at a school in Ungkaya Pukan at 9 a.m.

Immediately after the reported abduction, troops from the Army’s 18th Infantry Battalion and 64th Infantry Battalion mounted intensive pursuit and checkpoint operations in order to prevent the abductors from leaving the boundaries of Ungkaya Pukan and Sumisip. The 3rd SRBN was also shifted to Ungkaya Pukan to maintain pressure and contain the area.

Subsequently, the Ungkaya Pukan Crisis Committee was activated while Sumisip and Provincial Crisis Committee were also activated to support the ongoing negotiations. ARMM Gov.  Mujiv Hataman also sought the help of the MILF Central Committee and 104th MILF Base Command for the safe release of Ms. Enprera.

Aside from Ms. Enprera,  Lucio Gonzales, a boat skipper of Albert Fishing, was snatched by gunmen in Matahal, Lantawan, Basilan last Tuesday morning.

The abduction of Enprera and Gonzales took place less than 24 hours after a kidnapped businessman was released in Jolo, Sulu,

Gonzales was seized by 15 gunmen who dragged him to one of two seacraft called “Jungkung” that sailed toward the direction of Sulu.

Last Monday night, Renato Yanga, a businessman was released by his captors in Jolo and was fetched by his relatives.

Yanga was seized by gunmen at past 6 a.m. last April 20 while he was about to open his TP Spot coffee shop in Jolo.

Yanga’s release  was made secretly. He was turned over by the kidnappers directly to his relatives in an undisclosed place in Jolo. — Dan Toribio Jr.