2 more bodies of children in Sibugay landslide found PDF Print E-mail
Wednesday, 05 June 2013 11:45

The search and retrieval team has recovered the remains of two more children who were among the four who were buried alive in a landslide in Zamboanga Sibugay province last week, a police official announced Tuesday.

The recovery of the remains of the two children around 1:30 p.m. Monday have brought the number of victims recovered to three with one missing, according to Senior Insp. Rico Pondol, police chief of Kabasalan town in Zamboanga Sibugay.

The remains that were recovered Monday afternoon were that of Sherlyn Mae Maghanoy, seven and her younger brother, Ezequiel Meziah, according to Pondol.

The first remains to be recovered was that of Fatima Maghanoy, 12, which was unearthed around 4:00 p.m. Sunday amidst the 150 meters thick rubble.

Pondol said search and retrieval operation will continue in a bid to recover the remains of the last victim, Eugene, nine, the younger brother of Fatima.

They were buried alive in a landslide that took place around 2:30 p.m. last Tuesday in Purok 4, Barangay Sayao, Kabasalan municipality.

The victims, prior to the incident, took shelter at an abandoned house owned by Simeon Buray amidst the continuous heavy downpour.

Pondol said it took them several days to recover the victim’s remains citing the search and retrieval operation is being undertaken manually.

Removal of the bamboos and coconut trees amidst the rubble as thick as 150 meters is also a contributory factor to the slow search and retrieval operation being jointly undertaken by the municipal government of Kabasalan, police, military, and other concerned sector, Pondol said.