Sabah displaced persons to avail of MCCT program PDF Print E-mail
Thursday, 13 June 2013 12:54

In an effort to assist displaced persons and families from Sabah regain normalcy in their lives and help them reintegrate into their communities, the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) developed a program that will help alleviate their poor conditions.

The Modified Conditional Cash Transfer Program (MCCT) which is a basically a prototype of the Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino Program, aims to cater to families with children 0-14 years old.

DSWD 9 Regional Director Zenaida Arevalo revealed that for Region 9, they have identified 137 displaced persons who returned to the Philippines due to the conflict in Sabah.  Similar to the identification of Pantawid beneficiaries, the 137 names were subjected to the Proxy Means test and accordingly, 102 came out eligible for the program.

To ensure accurate data and to avoid duplication of beneficiaries, Mr. Leonardo U. Lindo, a Project Development Officer from DSWD Central Office, said that enrolment will be through the Biometric Identification system.  So far, field testing of the biometric system customized for the program was already conducted last week and participated by prospective beneficiaries of the program.

Aside from Region 9, DSWD will also identify prospective beneficiaries from Region XII and ARMM.

An orientation workshop set for June 12-14 is being arranged.  Said workshop will prepare Local government units for the implementation of the MCCT program as well as the processing and implementation of the Biometric enrolment.