Give Bangsamoro framework a chance, Palace tells Misuari PDF Print E-mail
Wednesday, 31 July 2013 11:21

Saying the Bangsamoro framework agreement would benefit the entire Bangsamoro community, Malacañang urged Moro National Liberation Front chairman Nur Misuari to give the framework a chance to bring peace and development in Mindanao.

Presidential Spokesperson Edwin Lacierda was reacting to reports that the Moro leader threatened to declare an independent Bangsamoro Republic with its own Constitution.

Last week, Misuari accused Malacañang of pushing for the closure of the GRP-MNLF 1996 final peace accord to accommodate the Framework Agreement for Bangsamoro (FAB) of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF).

“The Bangsamoro framework will benefit the entire Bangsamoro. Kasama po kayo sa makikinabang dito, take a look at this major framework. What we will come up with would wind down ultimately to peace and development in Muslim Mindanao,” Lacierda told a media briefing.

“I ask for them to seriously look into this agreement not as an MNLF but as a Bangsamoro and it includes everyone — MILF, MNLF and the lumads,” he added.

Misuari warned that pursuing the closure of the MNLF peace accord will give them the option to declare independence of the Bangsamoro.

Lacierda said Sec. Teresita “Ging” Deles of the Office of the Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process went to Indonesia—the facilitator of the GRP-MNLF talks—and met with the Indonesian foreign minister to discuss the closure of the tripartite review mechanism brokered by the Organization of Islamic Conference.

He said Deles already clarified that the government had proposed the completion of the review and not the closure of the peace process or abrogation of the 1996 final peace accord.

“It’s very clear with the facilitator on that point that they support the completion,” Lacierda said.

The government aims to sign the peace treaty with the MILF to end the decades-old separatist insurgency in Mindanao.