Celso urges Dinky to ensure 4Ps takers are real Zamboangueños PDF Print E-mail
Thursday, 17 February 2011 15:13

Mayor Celso Lobregat yesterday requested Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) Secretary Dinky Soliman to make sure that the intended beneficiaries of Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino (4Ps) Program are bona fide residents of Zamboanga City.

“Zamboanga is entitled to at least 22,000 family-beneficiaries of 4Ps and I asked Sec. Soliman to make sure that these beneficiaries are real Zamboangueños, not those coming from nearby provinces,” Lobregat told reporters after a meeting with Sec. Soliman in his office yesterday morning.

The 4Ps Program is a poverty reduction and social development strategy that provides conditional cash grants to extremely poor households to improve their health, nutrition and education particularly of children aged 0-14.

Sec. Soliman assured the mayor that intended beneficiaries of 4Ps in Zamboanga City will really come from the city, as she said that the City Social Welfare and Development Office personnel are involved in the implementation of the program.

Likewise, Lobregat told the DSWD secretary that any housing project for the Badjaos must also be made sure that the beneficiaries are Badjaos of the city not those coming from other places even as he noted that the number of Badjaos in the city is growing by migration.
The mayor made the request after Sec. Soliman informed him that the DSWD was planning to add the existing housing project for the Badjao in the city.

It can be recalled that the late Mayor Maria Clara Lobregat had initiated a housing project for the Badjaos on the coast of Sinunuc in partnership with the DSWD.

But this time, Lobregat said, any housing project for the Badjaos must be land-based, not anymore on the coastlines, considering the effects of Climate Change wherein in 2007 the city had experienced storm surge that destroyed properties on the coastlines.

Soliman was in the city to keynote the national workshop on assessing the development strategies of DSDWD, which is being attended by the department’s information officers from all over the country.

Part of her visit to the city was also to monitor the roll out for additional family-beneficiaries of 4Ps in the city.

On the calamity in Jolo, Soliman said President Aquino has instructed a continuous relief supply for the victims as earlier recommended by the provincial government. She said 5,000 more sacks of rice are to be sent to Jolo.

She also said families whose houses had been totally destroyed by the flashfloods will receive cash assistance of P70,000 each for them to rebuild their houses. So far, the DSWD has already extended P2.5 million in aid to Jolo. — Vic Larato