People displaced by standoff now at 82,106 — NDRRMC PDF Print E-mail
Wednesday, 18 September 2013 13:59

The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) on Tuesday announced that the number of people displaced by the fighting between the military and Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) in Zamboanga City has reached the 82,106 mark.

This is equivalent to 16,533 families living in 14 barangays and even one barangay from Zamboanga Sibugay province.

In an update posted on its website early Tuesday, the NDRRMC said 24 evacuation centers had been set up to serve 13,028 families or 67,845 people.

It added that the death toll as of Monday reached 87, including 71 from the MNLF, six from the military, three from the police, and seven civilians.

At least 165 were wounded, including 86 soldiers, 12 police personnel and 67 civilians.

Meanwhile, the NDRRMC said at least 20 houses were destroyed while five were partially damaged.

Some P4.5 million worth of properties were destroyed by fires that hit Ayer Village in Sta. Barbara; houses near the mosque in Sta. Barbara; Lustre in Sta. Barbara; Fisheries Compound in Rio Hondo; and Kasanyangan Village.

The NDRRMC said the Zamboanga City Crisis Management Center is continuously providing food and maintaining sanitation in evacuation centers.