Crisis deals serious blow on Zambo’s tourism industry PDF Print E-mail
Wednesday, 25 September 2013 13:21

The Zamboanga City crisis brought about by the MNLF siege in at least six barangays has dealt a serious blow on the city’s tourism industry.

The standoff between MNLF forces and government troops is now on its 16th day. It has caused the loss of lives of dozens of people, destruction of  properties and displacement of thousands.

The crisis has halted almost all major economic activities in the city and operations of  government offices both local and national and schools.

But Department of Tourism Regional Director Mary June Bugante have high hopes that the city’s tourism industry  will recover within a year.

“Of course, it (crisis) is a big setback on the tourism industry. But we believe that we wll rise again. For as long as we all work together to rise again,”Bugante said.

Some observers said that the current crisis has seriously affected the livelihood of ordinary workers like drivers, entertainers, restaurant workers, department store sales personnel, market vendors and several others.

Meanwhile, Bugante said that with the current crisis, there will be a handful of guests and balikbayans who will come to the city for Fiesta Pilar celebration on October 12.

Fiesta Pilar celebration is preceded by the two-week Zamboanga Hermosa Festival that starts on the last week of September.

Bugante said she can not give any  details on the programs and activities for the Fiesta Pilar celebration because it is the city government that is preparing it. —  Allen Abastillas