Misuari misleads his followers —PNP PDF Print E-mail
Thursday, 03 October 2013 11:34

Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) founding chair Nur Misuari misled his followers by telling them to join a peace rally that turned out to be a stand-off last September 9 in Zamboanga City, a Philippine National Police (PNP) official said Tuesday.

PNP Deputy General Felipe Rojas Jr., deputy chief for Operations, said the stand-off started last September 9 after the MNLF rebels attempted to hoist their flag at the City Hall as declaration of independence.

He said that some of the arrested rebels claimed that they were promised of P10,000 in exchange of their participation on a “peace rally” but little did they know that they would be provided with firearms, and will fight against government troops.

“Niloko sila ni Misuari,” Rojas said.

He said Misuari is reportedly moving from one place to another “because relatives of some of the killed MNLF’s were angry at him.”

“So maraming kinakatakutan si Misuari ngayon ... hindi lang government, pati mga relatives na kamag-anak ng mga namatay na MNLF na niloko niya,” Rojas said.

He also said arrested MNLF rebels revealed that they started bringing in firearms to the city as early as January “one at a time.”

“So hindi ito one time lang. Unti unti nilang pinasok sa Zamboanga [City],” Rojas said when asked of what was the result of the investigation on how they were able to bring it loads of firearms and ammunition without being intercepted by authorities.

Rojas also noted that Zamboanga has a long shoreline, making it difficult for authorities to detect people coming from Jolo and Basilan.

Rojas said investigations were still ongoing as to where the funds of the MNLF for the attack came from, considering the fact that the attack could have required a large amount of money.

He said the firearms used by the MNLF rebels were “old, but were fully operational. It was maintained well, Rojas said.

“We are still investigating kung may nag finance dito,” Rojas said.

He also insisted that there wasn’t really a lapse in the intelligence gathering prior to the attack, given the fact that the first encounter with the rebels were at the sea before some of them were able to get to Zamboanga City.

In that incident, Rojas said one frogman was killed and two other were wounded.

“Kaya it’s not true na hindi na monitor ang pagdating nila. Namonitor natin in fact, naka encounter natin sa dagat,” Rojas said.