Zambo sends sympathy to Visayas quake victims PDF Print E-mail
Friday, 18 October 2013 11:06

Zamboanga City now reeling from the impact of the 23-day siege and the weeklong flashfloods has sent its sympathy to the victims of Tuesday’s 7.2 magnitude earthquake in Visayas and typhoons Senti and Tino in Luzon.

“From one calamity to the other, our city and our country in general are facing great trials but our unceasing faith to the Divine Providence and our resiliency as one people remain to be our daily hope and guide,” said Mayor Beng Climaco, chairperson of the Crisis Management Committee (CMC).

She said over the past few days after the siege and the flashfloods the city of Zamboanga has seen some positive development that “all the more give us the inspiration and hope to rise from the ashes”.

The lady chief executive also commended the police and the military for the peaceful and successful celebrations of Fiesta Pilar last Oct. 12 by the Christians and Eid’l Adha last Oct. 15 by the Muslims. “Despite the inclement weather and the security challenges, throngs of people converged at Fort Pilar shrine and the mosques for their religious obligations,” she told a news conference yesterday morning at City Hall Conference Room.

She reiterated her earlier appeal to the people not to spread unverified text messages or post and share online messages that may create panic and fear among civilians.

“The people have been traumatized and to have these unverified messages circulated will only worsen the situation. We have to get out facts straight and accurate through our police hotlines 117 and 166,” Climaco further said.

As this developed, Climaco announced that the CMC in a meeting earlier on had approved the reduction of curfew hours in the city from 10 p.m. to 4 a.m. to 12 midnight to 4 a.m. effected today and it will remain enforced until the police and military authorities will give the clearance.

She also said that classes in all levels of public and private institutions have been going on smoothly since they resumed Wednesday, Oct. 16, even as there are few public schools that opened but had no classes as of yet due to the presence of evacuees from the siege and the flashfloods.

This, as the city government already started the rehabilitation plan to relocate the evacuees to bankhouses that will be constructed in Taluksangay and Tulungatung. — Vic Larato/City Hall PIO