Beng hails biggest haul of shabu worth P100-M PDF Print E-mail
Saturday, 09 November 2013 11:57

Mayor Beng Climaco has highly commended the joint police operatives for successfully intercepting the biggest ever shipment of what was considered to be methamphetamine hydrochloride locally known as shabu with total volume of 18 to 20 kilos valued at about P60-million to P70-million at the Zamboanga City International Airport yesterday morning.

“This (confiscation) sends a very clear and strong message that the city of Zamboanga, particularly the government operatives, are really doing their work despite the siege that we had and despite the inclement weather,” Mayor Climaco said when interviewed at the airport to see for herself the confiscated illegal drugs.

However, she said after the commendation comes a thorough investigation, considering that the illegal drugs had come from Manila. “Why did it pass through the scrutiny of the X-ray machines and personnel of the airport in Manila?” she asked. “People there (at Manila airport) should also be made answerable to this illegal shipment,” she added.

According to her, the Zamboanga airport notwithstanding an international airport has been downgraded but because of the capability of its personnel “we were able to intercept and confiscate these illegal drugs.”

The lady chief executive also lamented that during her visit the other day to Rio Hondo and Mariki she found out that there were many shabu weighing scales among the fire debris, an indication of the illegal drug trade in both barangays (prior to the September siege).

“That is why we have to clean and clear Rio Hondo and Mariki to protect the children and the youth from becoming victims of illegal drugs,” Climaco insisted. “We strongly oppose the use of illegal drugs by anyone because it affects the lives of the users,” she added.

Meanwhile, Councilor Elong Natividad, chair of the Committee on Peace and Order in the City Council, said the illegal drugs, consisting of 18 to 20 kilos packed in powdered milk cartons, arrived at the airport Thursday but were to be shipped to Tawi-Tawi yesterday (Friday) all the way to Malaysia. — Vic Larato