Dipolog City mayor eyes ‘cracker ban PDF Print E-mail
Monday, 16 December 2013 11:27

Dipolog City Mayor Evelyn T. Uy considers banning the use of firecrackers and pyrotechnics during Christmas Eve and New Year Eve revelries in her city.

Mayor Uy said she will study and will consult with local leaders on how to stop the use of pyrotechnics and  firecrackers during the celebration of Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve.

She said she will hold consultations with local leaders regarding the banning of the items because firecracker explosions could not be distinguished from terrorist bomb blasts.

Uy is also taking into consideration the ill effects of pyrotechnics to the health of the people and to the environment.

” I will talk to the local leaders and study the total ban of thesaid items,” Uy said.

The Department of Health has started a massive campaign  nationwide on its project called “ Iwas Disgrasya sa Paputok” in connection with the celebration of Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve.

Sr. Supt. Edgar Danao  Criminal Investigation and Detection Unit 9 (CIDG-9) chief, had earlier suggested a total  ban on pyrotechnics during the celebration of Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve for the same reason that those items are hazardous to the health and the environment.

“Many accidents in the past involving pyrotechnics had killed people and  burned millions of properties. It is very dangerous most especially to the children because they do not know if  it is poisonous,” Danao said. —  Allen Abastillas