Barangays’ support on ‘cracker ban urged PDF Print E-mail
Friday, 27 December 2013 14:07

The chairman of the Council Committee on Peace and Order has called on all barangay officials to help monitor compliance of Executive Order 23 which temporary suspends the display and use as well as the sale and distribution for the use of firecrackers and pyrotechnics in the city during the yuletide season.

Councilor Roel Natividad together with Liga ng mga Barangay President Gerry Perez is doing the rounds of the different barangays in the city to seek the active support and participation of village officials in the monitoring activity.

“Barangay officials should cooperate with the mayor and the City Council”, Natividad said stressing that it is incumbent upon all officials to help ensure the strict enforcement of Mayor Beng Climaco’s executive order. “When we talk about barangay officials we mean the barangay chairmen, kagawads, secretaries including the barangay tanods and other volunteers”.

The use of firecrackers and pyrotechnics, according to Natividad, can be an opportunity for lawless elements to also take advantage of the situation.

EO BC 23-2013 issued on November 11, 2013 cited specifically the Zamboanga crisis from September 9-29 which brought “untold trauma, stress and anxiety to all its residents” as one of the main reasons for the temporary suspension order.

“The City was enveloped by the deafening sound of mortars, grenades and ammunitions brought about by the armed conflict between the government security forces and the MNLF forces (Misuari faction),” the mayor stressed.

Added to the armed conflict, Climaco said Zamboanga residents had been victims of at least 2 major fire disasters caused by explosions of firecrackers and pyrotechnic devices.

Primary basis of the executive order is the General Welfare Clause under the Local Government Code of 1991, as amended, in the interest of public order and safety and the general welfare of the residents of the city.

Last November 6, the Sangguniang Panlungsod, through the initiative of Councilor BG Guingona, also approved  a resolution requesting the mayor to issue an executive order temporarily suspending the sale, distribution and use of firecrackers and pyrotechnics in the city this Christmas season. — Sheila Covarrubias