MNLF detainees in Zambo transferred to Taguig, MM PDF Print E-mail
Saturday, 28 December 2013 11:10

A total of 266 Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) fighters — captured or surrendered during the September siege in Zamboanga City have been tranferred to  a detention center Taguig, Metro Manila.

The 266 MNLF members belonging to the Nur Misuari faction who were detained at the San Ramon Penal Farm and at the city jail after the siege were transported via a Philippine Navy vessel at around 8:30 a.m. yesterday,

The detainees included the 24 rebels who voluntarily surrendered to Sr. Supt. Chiquito Malayo, former officer-in-charge of the Zamboanga City Police Office (ZCPO).

The military, police and the personnel of the Bureau of Jail Management and Penology (BJMP) escorted the MNLF fighters into the Navy Landing Ship Transport (LST) 550 from the San Ramon Penal Farm Thursday night.

Col. Andrelino Colina, Task Force Zamboanga (TFZ) chief, said the transfer  of the MNLF detainees was made in coordination with other law enforcement units, including the BJMP, Army, Navy, Air Force, and the Philippine National Police (PNP).

“The movement of the detainees was not made public due to security consideration,” Colina said.

According to Colina, they could not discount possibility of sabotage even as they were prepared to thwart such an  attempt.

All the MNLF prisoners at the San Ramon Penal Farm were properly turned over by the BJMP to the military and were all aboard the Navy ship that departed under heavy guards about 8 a.m.

The  transfer was based on the resolution approved by the Supreme Court (SC) and the regional court here to transfer the rebels to the detention facility in Taguig.

Government forces and local police said security is still heightened in this city to prevent any possibleretaliation or violent reaction from the sympathizers and supporters of the MNLF under Misuari, who is at large.

Misuari and the detained MNLF members were charged with rebellion and violation of international humanitarian law, genocide and other crimes against humanity in connection with the September siege.

Residents of San Ramon and nearby barangays expressed relief after they were informed of the supposed transfer.

It was earlier reported that residents near the prison had security issues since the MNLF rebels were detained there for over two months.

Justice Secretary Leila de Lima previously said she believes the MNLF fighters detained in Zamboanga City can be more secured in Camp Bagong Diwa in Taguig.