Mayor cites authorities for MNLF detainees’ successful transfer PDF Print E-mail
Monday, 06 January 2014 16:35

Mayor Beng Climaco has expressed gratitude to concerned authorities for the successful transfer of the detained members of the Nur Misuari faction of the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) from Zamboanga to Taguig in Manila last week.

Specifically, the mayor cited the police, military, the Philippine Navy, Philippine Air Force, Bureau of Jail Management and Penology (BJMP), Bureau of Corrections (BUCOR) and the Department of Justice (DOJ) and all other agencies concerned for a job well done in ensuring the orderly and peaceful transport of the over 200 MNLF detainees from the San Ramon Penal Farm to Bicutan in Taguig.

Transported under tight security, the MNLF members who are involved in the September siege were ferried by the Navy Landing Ship Transport (LST) 550 December 27 and arrived Manila December 30.  26 of those transported came from the City Reformatory Center.

Mayor Climaco said the transfer of the trial as well as the MNLF detainees to Manila is a sign that the national government is serious in its commitment to help ensure peace and tranquility in Zamboanga City.

The transfer of the trial venue and the detainees from Zamboanga to Manila was sought by the City Government through the Crisis Management Committee (CMC) with the support and coordination of the Department of Justice. It was eventually approved by the Supreme Court. Security reasons are the primary consideration in the transfer.

While the tension is minimized, people however should remain vigilant and alert, according to Climaco as she stressed that the police and military authorities remain deployed to thwart any and all security threats.

She said the detainees’ transfer will also be an opportunity for the accused to obtain justice that guaranteed under the law. — Sheila Covarrubias