DOH-12 recorded 12,719 dengue cases in 2013 PDF Print E-mail
Wednesday, 08 January 2014 18:13

KIDAPAWAN CITY —The Department of Health in Central Mindanao region on Tuesday said that the number of dengue cases in the region has increased by as much as 188 percent in 2013 as compared to 2012.

The number of fatalities due to dengue also increased compared to previous year.

The DOH-12’s Regional Epidemiology Surveillance Unit (RESU)said there were 12,719 dengue cases monitored from January to December 2013.

The number was three-folds higher as compared to 2012 which RESU recorded only 4,423 dengue cases or 188 percent higher.

Sixty-seven fatalities were reported in 2013 as compared to 50 in 2012, according to Dr. Teogenes Baluma, DOH-12 regional director.

In a statement, DOH-12 said the age of dengue cases ranged from 11 days to 96 years old with more than half (53 percent) were male.

North Cotabato province had the most number of dengue cases reported last year with 3,445 as compared to 1,385 cases in 2012 or 149 percent higher. Eleven deaths were reported in 2013 while 14 in 2012.

Coming next was Gen. Santos City with 3,216 as compared to 2012 which has only 996 cases or 223 percent higher. DOH recorded 29 deaths due to dengue in 2013 as against 24 in 2012.

Region 12 or SOCCSARGEN region is composed of the provinces of North and South Cotabato, Sultan Kudarat, Saranggani and the cities of Cotabato, Kidapawan, Koronadal, Tacurong and Gen. Santos.