Siege fire victims to get 3,000 cash assistance from CHR PDF Print E-mail
Saturday, 11 January 2014 13:11

At least 700 internally displaced families who were victims of fire during the September siege in this city are expected to receive P3,000 per family as cash assistance  from the Commission on Human Rights (CHR), said Atty. Sharon Belisario.

“Pasensya lang muna sila sa proseso, medyo matagal-tagal din dahil may mga dokumento na dapat din ma submit (We regret for the delay in the release of this assistance due to some documentary requirements.),” said Belisario.

She explained that since December last year, CHR-Zamboanga has already prepared affidavit for the 700 families as one of the requirements, 300 of them have already signed the affidavit and the remaining 400 were scheduled to sign it yesterday.

“Kailangan ng affidavit, kasi parang complaint din yan (The affidavit is needed because it is similar to a complaint),” she said.

After the affidavit has been signed, a CHR investigator will then conduct investigation for the preparation of an investigation report, and then it will be forwarded to the legal department for resolution then to CHR central office for fund allocation.

Belisario explained that it would take about two weeks for CHR-Zamboanga to process. She could not, however, speak for the central office as to how long it will take the latter to release the fund.

Belisario said the CHR for the moment has stopped at 700 families saying “hindi kasi namin alam kung may enough pondo ba sila sa central office (we don’t know if the central office has enough funds for the purpose.)”. She, however, assured that once an advice from the central office is given as to the availability of funds, the CHR here will once again start processing the claims.

Aside from the affidavit, the beneficiaries will also need to submit fire incident certification, DSWD access cards and other documents as proofs that they are indeed victims of the fire.