Death toll due to LPA in Mindanao rose to 13 PDF Print E-mail
Tuesday, 14 January 2014 10:47

The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) announced on Monday that the death toll from the low pressure area (LPA) that induced rains caused landslides and flash floods that battered Mindanao has now climbed to 13.

In an interview, NDRRMC spokesman Major Reynaldo Balido said that seven of the fatalities were from Davao Oriental while the remaining six were from Compostella Valley due to landslide and flashfloods as heavy rains have been pounding Mindanao since Friday.

Balido said that seven persons were also missing — four in Compostella Valley, one each from Surigao del Norte, Davao Oriental and Agusan del Sur.

Davao Oriental and Compostela Valley were among the hardest hit by Typhoon “Pablo” (international name: Bopha) in 2012.

“Pablo” was the deadliest typhoon that hit Mindanao that year. Both provinces are still recovering from the damage caused by the said typhoon.

In its report from Office of Civil Defense-Region (OCD) 11, NDRRMC said that search-and-rescue teams were sent to Diwata, Monkayo, in Compostella where four persons were reported missing after a landslide buried their houses.

NDRRMC identified two of the missing as Jolito Solima Agatia, 32, a resident of Barangay Pangaylan, Santiago, Agusan del Sur, who was reportedly carried by strong current while crossing the Aciga river; and Michael Paran, 14, of Barangay Laurel, Taganaan, Surigao del Norte, who was swept by strong current of the Mat-I river.

At least 37 persons have been reported injured, the NDRRMC said.

According to OCD-11, more than 26,000 families were affected in at least three provinces.

As of 6 a.m. Monday, NDRRMC data said the number of affected persons already reached 26,801 families or 132,379 persons.

Of the number, 23,000 families were from eight municipalities previously affected by typhoon “Pablo”.

Compostela Valley registered 1,566 families affected and Davao del Norte, 1,154 families.

The local disaster unit said 79 evacuation centers were activated to shelter the rising number of evacuees.

Some 86 barangays in 26 municipalities in 10 provinces of Region 9, 10 and Caraga were flooded.

NDRRMC Executive Director Eduardo del Rosario said the floods rendered impassable 22 roads and 13 bridges.

He said the Saug River in Asuncion and Libungan River in Kapalong, both in Davao del Norte, had already overflowed causing waist-deep floods to places along the rivers.

He also said that several bridges and public infrastructure sustained damages while a total of 8,284 hectares of agricultural crops were damaged.

The NDRRMC said that a total of 113 totally damaged houses and 138 partially damaged were already recorded.