Despite rundown in NPA strength, AFP not taking rebels lightly PDF Print E-mail
Monday, 20 January 2014 12:52

Despite the reduction in the New People’s Army (NPA) threat, the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) has said it is still not taking the rebels lightly.

“They (NPA) still pose challenges,” AFP spokesperson Major Gen. Domingo Tutaan said, adding that steps are being taken to ensure that these challenges are eliminated.

The military earlier disclosed that the NPA miserably failed in achieving its goals bound on its “5-Year Central Plan,” which was supposed to end in 2013, as they were unsuccessful in expanding their mass base support since 16 more provinces were normalized last year.

This makes the latest overall success to 43 provinces (to include Pampanga) out of the 64 NPA-affected provinces nationwide (56 percent).

Also, a total of 824 NPA personalities were neutralized and 425 firearms were recovered in 2013.