DOLE bares livelihood, employment programs for Zambo IDPs, students PDF Print E-mail
Thursday, 23 January 2014 13:18

The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) here is offering various livelihood and employment programs for Zamboanga’s internally-displaced persons (IDPs), students, and the various sectors including women, farmers, and others, according to DOLE-9 Director Sisinio B. Cano.

“Under the emergency employment program, beneficiaries, particularly the IDPs will be entitled to work for a period of one month to help them cope with the difficulties brought about by the September crisis,” Director Cano said.

He explained that DOLE will be partnering with the local government units or private companies to shoulder the beneficiaries’ minimum wages.

Another program, the Integrated Livelihood Program (ILP) will cater to different organized sectors, which is regionwide in coverage.

“The beneficiaries for this program are organized youth, women and the informal sector groups,” he said. Under the ILP, the sectors, organized into groups will be able to avail of seed funds for livelihood opportunities. The amount would depend on the project proposals that they will present to the DOLE.

“For the region, we have a P13 million allocation, and every congressional district will have P3 million for this purpose,” Cano explained.

The director explained that there will be no payback for the funds, since they are grants. “However, the DOLE will strictly monitor the progress of their livelihood project and will help ensure that there will be positive changes in their lives,” he added.

In order to be qualified for the program, interested groups should have a legal personality and registered with the DOLE.

Meanwhile, Livelihood Starter Kits not amounting more than P10,000 will also be provided for individuals who have specialized skills. Carpenters, electricians, plumbers, cosmetologists and others who were affected by the crisis in the city, who do not have the resources to purchase the equipment they need for their livelihood are the target beneficiaries, the director added.

“In addition to the programs, the beneficiaries will have to be covered with social protection,” he added, referring to their membership with the Social Security System (SSS).

Lastly, the Special Program for the Employment of Students (SPES) has been modified to run not only during summer vacation. “The SPES is now year-round. Students who wish to work and earn during the semesters will now have this opportunity during weekends and their free time.”

Each student will be able to work from 20-52 days for a period. The DOLE will shoulder 40 percent of their minimum wage, while the other 60 percent by either the local government unit, or a private company through a memorandum of agreement.

“We hope to be able to disburse the funds within the first semester,” said Cano, emphasizing that hiring will begin by February.

He advised all interested parties to visit the local Public Employment Service Office (PESO) in Pettit Barracks, or the DOLE office in Veterans Avenue to inquire on the programs.