Zambo port marks hike in revenue take in 2013 despite siege PDF Print E-mail
Thursday, 20 February 2014 13:12

The port of Zamboanga has registered an increase of P1,506,819 in collection of revenue last year translating to 1.65 percent improvement compared to the previous year despite the September siege.

The September siege brought about by the attack of Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) rebels has caused the suspension of operations of the Zamboanga port.

Port manager Liberto Dela Rosa said they have collected P92,708,373 in 2013 marking an increase of P1,506,819 from P91,201,554 revenue collected in 2012.

Dela Rosa said the increase in the collection of revenue came after export of cargoes had increased to 147,731 metric tons (MT) in 2013 compared to that in 2012 of P65,572 MT.

Dela said the biggest contribution came from the export of coal from Malangas, Zamboanga Sibugay province and coconuts and its by-products from International Copra Corporation (INTERCO) and Philippine Industrial Corporation (PHIDCO) this city.

However, he disclosed that the number of passengers both embarkations (departure) and disembarkations (arrival) went down by 225,724 in 2013 compared to that in 2012 due to the September siege.

He said the passenger embarkations and disembarkations went down to 2,163,397 in 2013 from 2,389,121 in 2012. — RGAAG