Suspect in couple brutal slay in Basilan nabbed in Zambo PDF Print E-mail
Thursday, 20 February 2014 13:14


A resident of Talisayan, this city who was tagged as prime suspect in the brutal killing of a couple and their granddaughter in Switch Yakal, Lantawan, Basilan last Monday, was arrested in Cawit Tuesday night.

Rigoberto Erasga was arrested by men of the Ayala Police Station led by Sr. Insp. Edilberto Alvarez during a coordinated follow-up operation.

Two other suspects were arrested by Lantawan policemen yesterday after Erasga reportedly pointed to them as his alleged accomplices in the killing of Pablo Guerrero, his wife Teresita Guerrero and granddaughter named Trixie Stanley.

Arrested in Barangay Switch Yakal, Lantawan were Alty Falcasantos, 19, and Ricky Toledo, 21.

The Guerrero couple went to Lantawan, Basilan from Zamboanga City to check their piece of land and the crops planted thereat. Intruders broke into the Guerrero farm house, beat them and the child to death, and ransacked the house of valuables.

Immediately after the brutal slay, Chief Insp. Basiri Hassan, Lantawan police chief, said they have already identified the killers.

Sources said the tenant of the Guerrero property in Lantawan gave to the police the identity of Erasga and informed the lawmen of some places in this city where he may be hiding. It turned out that Erasga, who was reportedly related to the tenant,  was the suspected killer. He was born in Talisayan. It was learned that Erasga’s other relatives here also helped the police pinpoint the possible whereabouts of Erasga.

Operatives of the Lantawan Municipal Police Station coordinated with the Zamboanga City Police Office for the immediate arrest of the suspect.

Acting on the coordinated operation, Alvarez and his men went on hot pursuit operation that resulted in the arrest of Erasga in Cawit.

Erasga denied having a hand in the killing despite the statements of witnesses pointing to him as the perpetrator.

He mentioned the names of Falcasantos and Toledo who he claimed as the killers.

Yesterday morning Erasga was formally turned over to the Lantawan Municipal Station where he was taken and detained pending the filing of charges in court.

He later told the police about Falcasantos and Toledo. The suspects reportedly confessed that they were high on drugs when they beat the Guerrero couple and their granddaughter to death.— Dan Toribio Jr.