Filipinos involved in Lahad Datu incident get enough gov’t support PDF Print E-mail
Wednesday, 26 February 2014 14:39

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia — Filipinos undergoing trial in Malaysia in connection with the Lahad Datu incident last year are getting enough legal assistance from the government, Philippine Ambassador to Malaysia Edgardo Malaya said in an interview.

Aside from the regular visits by Philippine consular officials in a Malaysian jail, the government has hired an international criminal law expert to assist Filipinos undergoing trial here. The criminal law expert is being assisted by six Malaysian lawyers, according to Malaya.

“So meron pong more than adequate legal representation yung ating mga kababayan dahil nga po kahit may sakdal laban sa kanila they deserve a day in court. They deserve due process and fairness,” Malaya said in an interview with Radio TV Malacanang on Monday.

About 100 loyalists of Jamalul Kiram III, who claims to be sultan of Sulu, occupied an area in Lahad Datu early last year which eventually led to a standoff with Malaysian forces.

Several members of this Muslim group from the Philippines as well as the Malaysian military were killed in the incident.

The Philippine government initially asked for their unconditional surrender but those who ignored the request were flushed out by the offensive carried out by Malaysia.

The armed group, asserting claims to Sabah, said the sultanate leased the territory to the British North Borneo Co. in 1878, an agreement Malaysia views as a cessation of territory.